tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 24 06:35:05 1997

Re: Expressing age.

ghItlh Donald E. Vick
>> Marc Okrand himself has used the {bogh} example, though he also added the
>> aspect suffix {-pu'}, for reasons which he has not explained yet (I did ask).
>
>     It's appropriate, in that you were born, you are finished being
>born, and the action is definitely complete.<

But if there's a time marker for "years ago," that's already indicated.  Which
would be better: "I was born 37 years ago" or "I have been born 37 years ago"?
And there are, I think, many examples of beginners being... how shall I say it?
Ah, shaky with tense and the BG showing things like "wa'Hu'
ma{something-or-other}" and it meaning "Yesterday we {did something or other."
Qapla'
qoror

Back to archive top level