tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 23 23:22:32 1997

Re: Klingon word for "Betazoid"?

Marian Schwartz wrote:

> ghItlh Adam Ophir Shapira
> >First of all, what is the Klingon word for a
> >Betazoid? Second of all, what is the Klingon name for the
> >planet Betazed?
>
> I'd say the word for "Betazed" (not that there is one) plus {ngan}.  To be
> careful, though, I'd stick it in with some punctuation mark or other, pending
> further notice.
> The words for types of races are I believe conventionally the planet plus
> {ngan}.  For instance, we don't have "romulan," we have "romuluSngan."

     I think that {betaSe'ngan} is the most usable of the ones we've
come up with so far.  Of course it might be something else altogether.
Remember that these are the DIvI' Hol names for the planets, not the
inhabitants own names for them.  We know from various ST canon that
the romuluSnganpu' call their planet ch'Rihan.  Just to stir the pot,
I'm going to suggest {yab yotwI'pu'} for "Betazoid". :)

wIvqu', law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
| Thaddaeus Vick, Linguist to the Masses |       [email protected]       |
| I could be wrong.  After all, there's  |                           |
|      a first time for everything.      | http://www.crl.com/~dvick |