tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 23 15:55:11 1997

RE: Another question:

Hey, there!  I'm SuStel, the list's Beginners' Grammarian.  I'm here to give
beginners a hand in starting their studies in Klingon.  If you've got a
question, or would like to converse with others on a beginner's level, just
stick the letters KLBC in the subject line of the message.  This will signal
me that it's a message I need to pay close attention to, and it'll signal
others that the BG should respond to the grammar and vocabulary of the message
first.  This way, you don't get snowed under with too many conflicting
opinions at once.  Once I've answered, everyone else may enjoy tearing me
apart!

Two important web sites to visit, if you haven't already:

The Klingon Language Institute
http://www.kli.org

this list's FAQ
http://www.thomtech.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm

[email protected] on behalf of Adam Ophir Shapira wrote:

> I have found the answers to many questions I asked through hard work
> using the dictionary in conjunction with the casettes.

maj.  quv bajnISlu'.

> However, no matter how hard I search the dictionary, I can't find
> the way to write the Klingon phrase appearing in the casette which
> translates to "How many guards are coming?".
> Is "mroS avw' ar?" an accurate transliteration? If I spelled
> it wrong, can someone please correct me?

mughoS 'avwI' 'ar
How many guards are coming?
How many guards approach me?

> (This Klingon language is *finally* starting to click in.)

majQa'!

> BTW: The following phrase, though it appears to contradict
> it's self, seems to be what best describes the character that
> I am trying to develop.
>
>     pongwIj QonaH.

There are two known ways to say your name.

*QonaH* 'oH pongwIj'e'
My name is QonaH.

jIHvaD *QonaH* yIpong
Call me QonaH.

Note that it is this list's policy to mark proper nouns with asterisks when
these nouns are not found in canon (and I don't think charghwI''s name counts
. . .).  This way, beginners don't go searching for an hour through TKD for
the word or elements of the word {QonaH}, which they won't find.  ("It's got
something to do with vegetables, I know that . . .")

>     betaSe'gnan jIH 'ej tlhingan jIH.

It's also this list's policy not to transliterate names.  Better check out the
FAQ on this topic.  This is for the same reason as above, plus the fact that
everyone is going to transliterate it differently.

However, you've hit upon the best way I've ever seen to express the concept of
a half breed!  No one is quite sure how to use {bID}.

tugh tlhIngan Hol Dajatlhchu'.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian