tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 23 11:03:24 1997

verengan juHqo'

: Marian Schwartz wrote:
: > The words for types of races are I believe conventionally the planet plus
: > {ngan}.  For instance, we don't have "romulan," we have "romuluSngan."
:
: Conventionally, but there are exceptions.  For instance, the Ferengi
: homeworld is Ferenginar, but the {tlhIngan Hol} word is {verengan},
: rather than {verengInarngan}.
:
: -mIqIraH

Keep in mind, though, that "Ferenginar" was coined *after* Okrand came up
with {verengan} so it's an exception. I believe we've only known the
official name of the Ferengi homeworld for the last 2 seasons of DS9 or so.
Didn't one character once refer to "Feringar" before the name stabilized?

OTOH {*verengInarngan} is pretty long even for a Klingon noun, so maybe it
was shortened over time. How much time we don't know, though the Klingons do
seem to have known of the Ferengi before the Federation encountered them.

If Maltz is still around, someone could ask him.

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level