tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 23 20:37:54 1997

Re: KLBC: Klingon desktop items

On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Michael DeMatteo wrote:

> The translation for nuqneh is "What do you want?." My question is how can nuqneH be
> considered a greeting?
>
> Qapla'.

Firsty, Michael, it's nuqneH (The capitalization of the H is essential so
as to distinguish it from the tlh and gh type H's... ). Secondly, you
gotta remember that tlhIngan Hol is a generally military-based language,
and so pleasantries like "Hi there, gorgeous!" or "So, how are the kids?"
are practically non-existant. Thus the closest that reaches the point of
Greeting is a confrontational phrase like "What do you want?" or
<<nuqneH?>>

Similarly, <<Qapla'>> which is used as a means of farewell, means
"Success!", as in a wishing of good luck in battle for a Klingon Warrior,
like "Bon Voyage" is used as a farewell with someone leaving by boat.

I hope this helps...

Q'ISto'va yab'etlh (Eliseo Christopher d'Annunzio, Esquire)
Communications Officer (IKV Monarth, KAGAUS)
E-Mail: [email protected]
Hovjaj: 97477.46

Back to archive top level