tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 22 14:03:58 1997

RE: Expressing age.

[email protected] on behalf of [email protected] wrote:

> I have read enough messages to know that saying "my name is ..." is a pain
> in tlhingan Hol. But how would you say "My age is ..." ?
> In French (I'm translating litterally into English) you would say
> "My age is 37 years" only in answer to a question such as "What is your
age?"
> and in spoken French you would merely answer "37".
> "I'm aged 37 years" is good for litteracy, but unused in real life.
> What you say usually is "I have 37 years".
>
> What about tlhingan Hol?
>
> {wejmaH Soch ben jIngIpta'} (I was born 37 years ago}, which seems (to me)
> the best way ?

You have the right idea, but the wrong verb.  {ngIp} is "borrow."  {bogh} is
"be born."

wejmaH Soch ben jIbogh
I was born 37 years ago.

> {wejmaH Soch DIS jIyInlI'} (I've been living for 37 years -- I suspect many
> solecisms here) ? (there's no word for "during" or "for" applying to
> nouns...)

That's right, there isn't.  There is a relative clause that can do this:

qaStaHvIS wejmaH Soch DIS jIyIntaH
I live (continuously) while 37 years occur.

This method seems much clumsier than the one with {bogh} above.

> {muqanmoH wejmaH Soch DIS} (37 years made me old, a tentative for
> English "I'm 37 years old") -- this could imply I feel old at 37 years
> because
> I had a hard life.

I'm not entirely certain how the English phrase "years old" came to be, but it
doesn't mean that you feel old.  Even if a baby has just turned one, he is
said to be "one year old."  However, your Klingon construction is intriguing,
and perfectly understandable.

> I bet this has been asked before I joined this list, anymay a mere example
> would help me a lot.

Marc Okrand himself has used the {bogh} example, though he also added the
aspect suffix {-pu'}, for reasons which he has not explained yet (I did ask).

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level