tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 16 10:27:13 1997

Using weather verbs

There seems to be unnecessary anguish in this group about how to
use the verbs peD and SIS.  Here is my logic.

1. The verbs exist, ergo they are usable.
2. They must take some subject.  We don't know whether it is 'eng,
chal, muD, some other noun held rsponsible for precipitation, or a
vague 'oH.  Perhaps it doesn't matter.
3. In Klingon a subject that is obvious or doesn't matter can be
omitted.  If there is a specific subject we should be using, then it
is obvious and needn't be stated.  If it doesn't matter, then it
doesn't matter, so it needn't be stated.
4. Therefore SIS probably means "It rains, it rained, it's going to
rain"

Now stop agonizing about what the sunject of SIS might be.  There are
much hairier possibilities to agonize over.  Weather
can be idiomatic to the point of cute. Perhaps SISlu' is correct.
Perhaps the implied subject is plural but the snow is singular and
must be the object: lupeD.  Maybe tlhIngan Hol uses an impenetrable
idiom for its weather terminology and you'd sound stilted unless you
said "ghargh may'morgh SISnISlu'bogh Qoy' voDleH targh."

VancouverDaq DaHjaH SISbe'.

Back to archive top level