tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 16 11:57:08 1997

Re: Hooray!!!!!!

lab ghunchu'wI'::
>Ken Traft quoting Mark Okrand writes:
>>...For example, there are
>>discussions of different Klingon dialects, slang, and special
>>terminology used in various fields (such as music, food
>>preparation, and, of course, the concerns of warriors).

>toH. DaH loQ mughIjchoH loSlI'ghach.

Daj.  mujotmoH De'vam chu'.  HolHommey neH DIqeltaHvIS, moHchugh pab
jIbepbe'. law'qu' tlhIngan HolHommey 'e' wISov.  tlhochchuqbe'chugh
tlhoQ mumer ghu'.

I have heard that there are a quarter of a million copies of TKD in
print. Watch while I make some ridiculous assumptions. If
every KLI member is really interested in learning Klingon, and if
there are ten serious Klingon scholars out there for every one who
has found the KLI, and if each owns as many copies as I do, that
still leaves 80 percent of the copies in the hands of those who
couldn't care less about the 'ship in which I fled' problem.  I
really can't fault the man if the new book is entirely composed of
grammatically dubious phrases that are fun to yell in bars.

Qov blinks at her own math and wanders off on a long aside. The
assumptions WERE impossible, we'ren't they? I wonder what percentage
of TKD copies *are* in the hands of KLI members.  Last year at qep'a'
trI'Qal was dragging around a shredded mess that appeared to be the
remains of three different copies.  I think it was r'Hul who had
completely disassembled a new copy of the dictionary, and inserted
all the pages in plastic sleeves in a binder, complete with
colour-coded tabs.

After what Marc wrote in the one I took to qep'a', I could never
again shove it in the map and granola bar pocket of my bike bag. (wa'
ben EstoniaDaq LatviaDaq LitlhuaniaDaq je leng Qov 'ej wanI'vetlh
DelchoH). I never actually got to say "ghobe', yIHmey vIHIjbe'," at
any border crossing, anyway. I think I once threw a tlhIngan Hol
Dajatlh'a'? into the modem-like communications protocol negotiations
I went through at ever hotel check-in desk.  (Russia Hol vIjatlhlaH
'ach Russia Hol lujatlhmo' charghwI'chaj motlh lujatlhQo' Sungpu',
motlh English Hol French Hol Spanish Hol ghap jatlhlaHbe', pIj
German Hol lujatlh, 'ach German Hol qellu'DI' machqu' laHwIj'e', vaj
mIwvam vIlo'nIS: Sung Hol vIjatlh 'e' vInID. jIQumbe'DI', yeptaHvIS
Russia Hol vIchup.  chaq jatlhqang chaq jalthQo'.  maSutlh.)

va.  jatlhtaH Qov.  yap jay'!

Back to archive top level