tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 17 15:10:12 1997

Re: Using weather verbs

According to Robyn Stewart:

> There seems to be unnecessary anguish in this group about how to
> use the verbs peD and SIS.  Here is my logic.

SISlu'. peDlu'.

> 1. The verbs exist, ergo they are usable.
> 2. They must take some subject.

SISlu'. peDlu'.

> We don't know whether it is 'eng,
> chal, muD, some other noun held rsponsible for precipitation, or a
> vague 'oH.  Perhaps it doesn't matter.

SISlu'. peDlu'.

> 3. In Klingon a subject that is obvious or doesn't matter can be
> omitted.  If there is a specific subject we should be using, then it
> is obvious and needn't be stated.  If it doesn't matter, then it
> doesn't matter, so it needn't be stated.

If the subject doesn't matter, use the {-lu'} suffix.

> 4. Therefore SIS probably means "It rains, it rained, it's going to
> rain"

ghaytan bIlugh, 'ach jatlhlu'chugh <<SISlu'>> lughlu'ba'.

> Now stop agonizing about what the sunject of SIS might be.  There are
> much hairier possibilities to agonize over.  Weather
> can be idiomatic to the point of cute. Perhaps SISlu' is correct.

HIja'!

> Perhaps the implied subject is plural but the snow is singular and
> must be the object: lupeD.

taQqu' qechvam.

> Maybe tlhIngan Hol uses an impenetrable
> idiom for its weather terminology and you'd sound stilted unless you
> said "ghargh may'morgh SISnISlu'bogh Qoy' voDleH targh."

taQqu' qechvam je... 'ach ... vIparHa'!

> VancouverDaq DaHjaH SISbe'.

*Charlottesville*Daq DaH SISlu'be', ach wa'maH loS vatlh rep
SISqu'lu'.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level