tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 15 16:27:16 1997

mu'mey wISovbe'bogh

First; I would have titled this 'Other words which we don't know', but am
unclear as to just how latlh modifies a noun. Would Scarlett say:

wa'leS qaS jaj latlh
or
wa'leS qaS latlh jaj
or
wa'leS qaS jaj chu' (which wouldn't really answer my question)

AFAIK, there is no word, nor is there a good work-around, for 'cigar'. tlhIch
tlhuHbogh choHmoHbogh poch tlhegh meQ is the best I can do! This is
descriptive, but is probably a 'hindsight' construction, and definitely is not
a convenient label for even casual reference (and is possibly grammatically
indecipherable).  I can find no really good words to get around the issue -
perhaps you can. There's a whole class of words missing here - smoke (v),
inhale (v), exhale (v), cigarette (n) (prob. *cigar*Hom); well, we do have
lighter/match (?) (meQwI'Hom).

Never mind that the Klingons probably don't smoke much as a population; we see
a cigar on Rura Penthe in ST6, we know from series references that they exist
in the time period in question. I seriously doubt that they have never been
exposed to them, and therefore they must have some sort of word.
Political-correctness does not seem at first glance to apply to Klingon
culture!

wo'vamDaq cha'maH *tlhIch tlhuHbogh choHmoHbogh poch tlhegh meQ* DIllaHchugh
wa' DeQ, jIbel.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level