tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 12 20:50:07 1997

Re: 'op

Alan Anderson wrote:

> >|Where did you find {'op}?...
>
> ja' Voragh:
> >>From Skybox Card S7 (qIvo'rIt pagh'e'):
> >
> >.. 'ej DujvamDaq 'op SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh po' law' tlhIngan yo' SuvwI'
> >law' po' puS.
> >
> >"It has ... some of the finest warriors in the Klingon fleet."
>
> That's the only example I know of its use as well, and all I can get from
> it is that {'op} seems to act like a number and refers to a subset of the
> noun that it precedes.  peHruS's usage doesn't match that interpretation,
> and I wondered what source he was taking it from.
>
> But the comparison on this card is between {'op SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh} and
> {tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law'}, so the idea of "some" might not be implied
> by {'op} on the first phrase but by {law'} on the second one.  It's an
> unusual placement of an otherwise unknown word in an anomolous kind of
> phrase. :-/

I've always wondered about this word.  It has the dubious honor of being
the only canonical word in my AKD without a definition attached to it.
Does anyone have a good explanation of it?

Perhaps the MSN crowd might make use of Okrand's area and ask him about
this one....

--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD qhojwI'