tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 12 20:47:54 1997

Re: Word Survey

Weaver SE (Steve) wrote:

> The *Soptaj threads got me thinkin' (charghwI' was that you who just
> said "oh-oh" ??).
>
> Anyway, I could use a few opinions on a few words here:
>
> tlhIngan Hol:
>
> wa' - luHwI'

Hmm.  "Yankers" doesn't necessarily means "pliers" to me; 90% of the
time, when I use pliers I use them to grip something (a nut, a bolt) or
to pick something up.  A "yanker" sounds more line the claw side of a
claw hammer!

> cha' - (ghop) DuDwI'
> wej - *SIyment DuDwI''a'

Okay, I guess.  A mixer is a mixer.

> loS - pIptaj

Strictly hindsight.

> vagh - DuQwI'

Again, translating this as "awl" is hindsight.  Okrand used this as
"spike" in {lIghon DuQwI' pogh} "Ligonian spike glove".

> jav - chuchghorwI'

This isn't necessarily an ice pick, but I guess it'd work...

--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD qhojwI'

[email protected]