tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 12 18:40:43 1997

RE: KLBC: Monopoly translation

jatlh Voqrel:

> Would there be an exception if you wanted to use past tense? (I'm still
> a beginner, so this might not be right, but...) something like, in
> English, "while you passed..." (although I can't right now think of
> a phrase I would use that in).

Klingon doesn't have tense indicated in its grammar.  The only way to tell
when something happens is by explicit reference.  For example, "I pass you" is
{qajuS}.  If you wanted to say this in reference to the past, you'd have to
tell me exactly when I passed you.  {wa'Hu' qajuS} "I passed you yesterday."
Or in the future: {wa'leS qajuS} "I will pass you tomorrow."

Note that you can also use aspect when you do this.  {qajuSpu'} means "I have
passed you; the act of passing is complete."  I could say {wa'Hu' qajuSpu'}
"As of yesterday, I had completed passing you"; {DaHjaj qajuSpu'} "As of
today, I have completed passing you"; {wa'leS qajuSpu'} "As of tomorrow, I
will have completed passing you."

> I guess a full example in English would be something like, "While he
> read the book, I ate."

If you don't tell me a specific time this happened, then to Klingon it doesn't
matter.

paq laDtaHvIS ghaH, jISop.
While he read the book, I ate.
While he reads the book, I eat.
While he will be reading the book, I will eat.

They're all correct translations of this sentence without a time marker.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level