tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 12 19:49:39 1997

RE: KLBC: Monopoly translation

>This has been done before; you might want to check the list archives.

I checked the archives for information and it seems a direct translation
was attempted in the past, but what I have in mind is more of a cultural
translation. And I plan to actually build it!

>So who's gonna want Praxis?!?

Nobody! Good point. It's a bit of a fixer-upper property. But then again,
I would bet that the property values in the Terran Monopoly no longer
reflect the current state of the Atlantic City real estate market. Maybe
the Klingon Monopoly predates Khitomer. Just the same I'm leaning toward
Klingon cultural references with the Kri'stak volcano as Electric Company
and Lusor as Water Works. (see Kahless bat'leth legend)

>> Community Chest = ?suggestions? (most often takes warriors but
>> occasionally gives them)
>
>How about {'orghen rojmab chutmey}?  :)

I like it. I'll see how it holds up as I translate the cards in that deck.

>> The properties around the board would become systems, territories and
>> strategic worlds that from the Star Trek universe arranged
>> counter-clockwise
>
>Backwards from standard Monopoly?

Oops! No, you're right: clockwise. It's not that I don't know my
Monopoly, it's more likely that I can't tell time! :)

>> from GO from least to most desirable (from a Klingon
>> perspective). I had also considered using the four sides of the board to
>> divide space into alpha, beta, gamma, delta quadrants but I'm leaning
>> away from that idea.
>
>Why?  That's a cool idea!  Alpha: Federation and/or Cardassians, Beta:
>Klingons and/or Romulans (are the Romulans supposed to be in Alpha or Beta
>Quadrant?), Gamma: Jem Hadar (however that's supposed to be spelled), Delta:
>err . . . well . . . I don't want to say Borg . . . ummm . . . Pretend that
>the Voyager has gotten back home, with a means of really fast
>transportation,
>shares it with everyone, and the galaxy becomes a very small place.  Then
>you
>can say "Kazon" for the Delta Quadrant.

Your approval of the idea inspires me. I'll give it more thought. Hmm.
Each side/quadrant has two "monopolies" so...according to the Omnipedia
chart...

ALPHA - Earth/Federation and Cardassians
BETA - Romulans and Klingons. But should Klingons conquer each other?
Aren't the Vulcans near the Romulans?
GAMMA - Jem'Hadar and ...Dominion? Aren't they the same? Help.
DELTA - Borg...no, that wouldn't work. And using knowledge from Voyager
doesn't seem right unless I justify it by claiming that the game was
created by B'Elanna Torres. In which case, as of this seasons
cliff-hanger, the Borg may have no claim to Boardwalk anymore. Maybe the
Delta quadrent is where mythical territories lie. Suggestions?

>Instead of Boardwalk, you could have "Borg Homeworld."  Make Free Parking
>into
>"DS9."  And no, you don't put excess warriors on DS9!  The banker becomes
>the
>Admiral of the Black Fleet, since that's where the warriors/bills go when
>they
>die/are spent

Admiral of the Black Fleet! I -really- like that one! That is exactly the
direction I want to go. Not Monopoly with Klingon and Trek words in it
(see the Star Wars edition released this year) but the kind of game that
would have developed had the *parQor* brothers had made it.

As for tokens I don't feel the need for a direct correlation between the
existing pieces and a Klingon equivalent (what self respecting Klingon
would ever use a thimble? Please!), though I will be using a targh. So
here's the list so far.

targh
qeylIS betleH
ghobchuq loDnI'pu'