tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 11 18:51:21 1997

KLBC: Monopoly translation

As a student of tlhIngan Hol who really enjoys a good game of Monopoly, I
felt that it was only fitting that the translation of my favorite game be
my first project. Granted, when you first look at Terran Monopoly from a
Klingon's perspective the phrase "verengan Dap!" might come to mind, but
consider my modifications: dollars become warriors, houses become
spacecraft, rent and other fees become warriors lost (in battle over
territories and such), jail becomes Rura Penthe, electric co. becomes
Praxis, and so on. Comments?

And of course the following translations...

GO! (collect $200 salary as you pass) = tIj. naDev yIjuSvIS cha'vatlh
SuvwI'pu' DavI'

Chance = San

Electric Co. = pIraQIS (awaiting official spelling)

Water Works = ?suggestions?

Community Chest = ?suggestions? (most often takes warriors but
occasionally gives them)

Go to Jail = bIghHa' yIjaH

Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200 =
bIghHa' yIjaH. bIghHa' yIjaH neH. tIj yIjuSbe'. cha'vatlh SuvwI'pu'
tIvI'be'.

The properties around the board would become systems, territories and
strategic worlds that from the Star Trek universe arranged
counter-clockwise from GO from least to most desirable (from a Klingon
perspective). I had also considered using the four sides of the board to
divide space into alpha, beta, gamma, delta quadrants but I'm leaning
away from that idea.

Any suggestions?

Back to archive top level