tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 12 05:07:46 1997

RE: BG...Noun construction

Hi!  This is SuStel, the BG.  If you want to flag me for help, please use the
letters "KLBC" at the beginning of the subject line.  It helps keep track of
things!

[email protected] on behalf of Dennis&Kim Orosz wrote:

> Hegh SuS'a'wI
> which I'm hoping could/would be translated as "Death Wind" but obviously
> ain't sure of.  I break it out as Strong wind which does/causes Death or
> at least thats what I'm trying to do.

{-wI'} meaning "thing which does, thing which is" is a *verb* suffix.
(There's a noun suffix {-wI'}, but this is a possessive suffix, and totally
unrelated.)  You cannot put verb suffixes on nouns.

{Hegh SuS'a'} does indeed mean "great wind of death."  It also means "the
great wind dies."

If you want "causes death," then you've got a couple of options.  The easiest
is to use the verb {HoH}: {HoHbogh SuS'a'} "great wind which kills."  (See TKD
6.2.3 on how to use {-bogh} and relative clauses.)

Another possibility, a little more convoluted, would be {HeghmoHbogh SuS'a'}
"great wind which causes (something) to die."

By the way, {HeghSuS} "death-wind" sounds a lot like "Jesus" in its Spanish
pronunciation!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian