tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 11 06:43:23 1997

Re: TLHINGAN-HOL digest 274

Thus spake you, [email protected]:

> From: "Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen" <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: KLBC: pIqaD, Schoen vs. Okuda

> have new improved kerning with it.  The misnamed Okuda font will be
> called "Kronos" (and thanks go to Nick Nicholas for suggesting this name
> which nicely parallels the "Klinzhai" name)

Thanks gratefully acknowledged; but are you sure about this? I don't recall
making this suggestion...

> When the new disk comes out it will also have several stylized versions
> of the Kronos font, courtesy of Nick Nicholas.

To wit (I don't think I'm violating any confidentiality clauses here)
a gothic font, a 'calligraphic' font, a scrawled font, and a grid font
like that proposed in HolQeD (and monospaced, like Courier.)

> Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 23:59:12 -0400
> From: TPO <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: KLBC: pIqaD, Schoen vs. Okuda

> The font available from the KLI merchant page can be hand written.  I find
> that I have trouble convincing people of this.  English can have fat, fancy
> letters; yet you can still hand write it.  [email protected], I will attach
> to a private e-mail a hand written piece that I scanned.  I find it quite
> easy.  Anyone else want to see?

By way of comparison (although I by no means want to suggest myself as a
standard), see the samples piqad.gif and piqad3.gif on the KLI ftp site;
the scrawl font I made is something like this.

> Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:42:31 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Steven Boozer <[email protected]>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: KLBC: pIqaD, Schoen vs. Okuda

> The Interstellar Language School sells Glen Proechel's _pIqaD paQDI'norgh:
> An Alien Writing System Primer_. This is a 44 p. workbook teaching another
> handwriting method for writing and learning to read printed pIqaD. Contact
> Ken Traft (ILS Acting Director while Glen is in Russia) at [email protected]
> for price and availability.

Notwithstanding my opinions on Proechel, this sounds really interesting, and
I may have a look at it. I wonder if the ILS would object to the ILS
handwriting being font-ified and distributed with the KLI font pack. Ken?

--
http://daemon.apana.org.au/~opoudjis          NICK NICHOLAS;  LINGUISTICS,
UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE              [email protected]

Back to archive top level