tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 09 20:11:48 1997

KLBC: pIqaD, Schoen vs. Okuda

Even though this does have a KLBC header, since this really isn't a
grammatical quesiton I'm going to invoke my seldom used perogative to
slip in ahead of the BG.

[email protected] writes:

> My main concern was about Klingon alphabet. You can get Okuda's
> character set on KLI's website (mapped onto uppercase letters on a
> PC keyboard). I do prefer Schoen's character set (mapped onto
> lowercase letters), which fits better the triskeles logo of KLI.

Most of the questions that followed are probably null and void.  The two
different writing systems are not both intended for use with tlhIngan
Hol.  The lowercase characters, usually referred to as the Mandel font,
predate tlhIngan Hol and are in fact a TOS creation.  I had previously
released them as a separate font named "Klinzhai" back before the
creation of the KLI.  The uppercase characters which you are usually
mistakenly called the "Okuda font" (but see the first issue of HolQeD
and our interview with Okuda, in which he explains that *he* didn't make
them up) are what have come to be used as an unofficial standard for
writing tlhIngan Hol.

To avoid some of this confusion, the next revision of the KLI font disk
(coming out as soon as I find several weeks to devote to it -- i.e., not
any time soon) will have these two typefaces split into separate font
files.  The TOS or Mandel font will again be called "Klinzhai" and will
have new improved kerning with it.  The misnamed Okuda font will be
called "Kronos" (and thanks go to Nick Nicholas for suggesting this name
which nicely parallels the "Klinzhai" name) and will be much more user
friendly (I'm tired of all those people writing me about how their
program's use of *smart quotes* eats the character for the glottal
stop).

When the new disk comes out it will also have several stylized versions
of the Kronos font, courtesy of Nick Nicholas.

So, to return to the original post that prompted this response, neither
of the writing systems originated with me.  However, I *did* create the
typefaces in both the upper- and lowercases.  Neither should be referred
to as the "Schoen font" since both draw the same contribution from me.

If there are still further font questions, let me know.

Lawrence

--
:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   :: The KLI is a nonprofit ::

Back to archive top level