tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 02 20:05:39 1997

Re: jajlo'

On Sun, 1 Jun 1997 23:41:29 -0700 (PDT)  [email protected]
wrote:

> In a message dated 97-05-30 18:11:12 EDT, charghwI' writes:
>
> << Lacking greater context (I need to find that original message),
>  I'm not exactly sure what Qov intended. I do wonder why you
>  assume that {muv} means "enroll, enlist". In all of my
>  dictionaries, it just says, "join". I don't note any canon
>  usage, either, so it is hard to argue with Qov's useage. >>
>
> In TKD Addendum we also find {muvmoH} glossed as "recruit (vt)."  From this I
> analyze that {muv} means "enlist, enroll"; and, {muvmoH} is literally "cause
> to join, cause to enlist, cause to enroll."

It is possible that {muv} can mean "join" with the most common
meanings given that word in English, and {muvmoH} as "recruit"
is a valid translation of a specific flavor of "cause to join"
which is commonly used, while other meanings of {muv} are not
used here because "recruit" is so much more common. The
existance of {muvmoH} in TKD may very well be to mark that this
verb with this suffix has a specific meaning that might not be
accurately surmised without the entry. There are certainly other
entries in TKD that follow this pattern.

HeghmoH
roSHa'moH

> peHruS

charghwI'