tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 31 22:23:19 1997

Re: KLBC:how do I translate the imperative?

[email protected] on behalf of Norman Thomas wrote:
> How can I translate let us ..?This is translated by the imperative in
> other languages but tlhIngan Hol only allows the imperative in the
> second person.

Yeah, this comes up once in a while.  The question really is: do you NEED to
translate "let us"?  Here's a canon example:

Let us get a drink.
DaH matlhutlh.

Just make a statement or a command as you'd normally do.  If the person you're
talking to doesn't want to, you can be sure he'll shout {Qo'} immediately.

An example of an imperative:

Let's go.
HItlhej.

(Yeah, I know you can just say {Ha'}, but you can also say {HItlhej}.  I'm
just illustrating the point.)

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian