tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 31 22:23:48 1997

Re: KLBC: story

[email protected] on behalf of Rethans F.G. wrote:

> I write a little story during te vacation. Although it isn't finished
> (yet) I would like some corretions/remakrs on the story,

Your column-based method of writing this didn't really come out that well.
Please use a line of Klingon and a line of English, the latter below the
former.  Much easier on the brain!

> romuluS wIghoStaH		we are proceeding towards Romulus
> yaSpu' maH vavwI' jiH je	My father and I are commanders

"Commanders" would be {la'pu'} or {ra'wI'pu'}, depending on which sort of
commander you mean.  (Commander in rank or commander of a ship?  From the fact
that each is on his own Bird of Prey, I'll assume you meant {ra'wI'pu'}.)
{yaSpu'} is "officers."

Whenever you use a "to be" construction like this one, you must remember to
put {'e'} on the subject.  In this case, you've got two subjects, so use {'e'}
twice:

ra'wI'pu' maH vavwI''e' jIH'e' je

You could simplify this a lot by simply saying

mara' vavwI' jIH je
My father and I command.

> toQDujmeymaj So'wI'mey		we engage the cloaking devices of our Birds of
> Prey

This simply says "The cloaking devices of our Birds of Prey."  You need a
verb.

toQDujmeymaj So'wI'mey DIchu'
We activate the cloaking devices of our Birds of Prey.

(Hmmm . . . would that be Birds' of Prey cloaking devices?  That's a pretty
weird possessive!)

> jaq vavwI',			My father is bold,
> HoHpu' SaD romuluSnganpu'	he has killed 1000 Romulans

Remember your sentence order!

When using numbers, you must specify how many thousands, or hundreds, or tens,
etc.

wa'SaD romuluSnganpu' HoHpu'.

> pay' So'Ha' may'Duj romuluSngan Suddenly an romulan batlle cruiser
> decloaks

When using a race name, which is a noun, it comes before the noun it modifies.
 It's not an adjective.

pay' So'Ha' romuluSngan may'Duj.

> yoH maH, maj' wI'el		We are brave, we enter battle

You missed a prefix, and you spelled {may'} wrong.

I wonder if Klingons "enter" battle?  We know that "entering" and "going
through" are pretty specific concepts to Klingons . . .

mayoH maH, may' wI'el

or just

mayoH, may' wI'el.

> HoS romuluSnganpu',		The Romulans are strong,
> wIghaj neH cha'cha ej'		and we've only 2 torpedos

Sentence order again!

Hmmm . . . I wonder if inherently plural nouns are quantifiable.  My guess
would be that you'd have to say {cha' peng}, and you wouldn't want to say
{cha' pengmey} unless you meant two torpedoes scattered about!  {cha' cha}
*may* be possible, but I don't like it much.

'ej cha' peng wIghaj.

> nutlhob jegh,			They ask us to surrender,

Oh, I very much doubt that the Romulans would ASK the Klingons to surrender.
One coommands this.  Besides, {tlhob} is a verb of saying, and you've stated,
"They ask us, 'Surrender.'"

I believe that {ra'} is also a verb of saying, so:

nura' jegh
They command us, "Surrender."

> 'ach ghIjbe' wIH		but we aren't scared

{wIH}?  You were thinking {maH}.  Then you need a verb prefix, too.

{ghIj} is not "be scared."  It's "scare."  The subject does the scaring, the
object is scared.  You *can* say {wIghIjlu'} "We are not scared."  Or, you
could do {nughIjbe' romuluSnganpu'} "The Romulans do not scare us."

Personally, I think that Klingons generally wouldn't talk about being scared
in general, they'd use {-vIp} and pick a specific verb.  For example:

maHeghvIpbe'.

> yoDmeymaj wIpep je wISo'Ha'	We raise our shield and we decloak

{yoD} is the sort of shields used in personal body armor.  The sort of shields
a ship uses is {botjan} (KCD).  Perhaps you raise them, but that's probably
very idiomatic, and I'd rather see "activate" or "energize."

Use the sentence conjunction {'ej}, not the noun conjunction {je}.

Watch those verb prefixes!  The first {wI-} should have been {DI-}, and the
second {wI-} means there's some object, but there isn't.

botjanmeymaj DIchu' 'ej maSo'Ha'.

> jol nISwI' baH romuluSnganpu    De Romulans fire an disruptorbeam at my
> fathers ship
>   DujDaq vavWi'

{jol} is "transport beam," used in transporter systems.

{nISwI'} is fine for "disruptor."  You don't NEED "beam," although you could
use {tIH} "ray" if you really wanted to.  However, if it's just one disruptor,
you need the verb prefix {lu-} on {baH}.

Again, any Type 5 suffixed nouns go before the rest of the sentence, excepting
adverbials, question words, and timestamps.  Also, you need to use the correct
possessive form (TKD section 3.4)  {vavwI' DujDaq} "At my father's ship."

vavwI' DujDaq nISwI' lubaH romuluSnganpu'.

> jun vavwI' He choH vavwI' ej'	My father takes evasive action and changes
> course.

The subject of {choH} is the thing which changes.  If you want to make
something else change (like a course), you must use the verb suffix {-moH}
(TKD section 4.2.4).

The sentence conjunction {'ej} comes BETWEEN sentences.

jun vavwI' 'ej He choHmoH vavwI'

> masDaq jISo' 			I hide behind a moon

Yeah, we don't have a word for "behind," do we?  This sentence is too vague;
it might mean "I hide IN a moon," or "I hide ON a moon," and we have no
context to tell us which it is.

maS Dop HopDaq jISo'
I hide at/in/on a moon's far side.

This sentence is pretty weak, too.  If anyone has any other ideas, feel free
to suggest them.

> vaj muleghbe' romuluSnganpu'	so that the romulans can't see me.

To be completely accurate to your translation, this should be

vaj muleghlaHbe' romuluSnganpu'.

logh may' lutmey vItIv.  majQa'.  lutvam yIrInmoH.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level