tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 31 22:23:19 1997

Re: KLBC: {vegh}

On Stardate 97579.4 muHwI' wrote:
> Since there are still people that do not understand the
> meaning of {vegh}, I will try if *I* did understand it:
>
> lojmIt vIvegh.  -  I went through the door.
> lojmIt vegh loD.  -  The man went through the door.

maj.

> ngech *vegh*laHbe' loD 'ach ngech 'el loD.  -  The man cannot {vegh} the
> valley but the man enters the valley.

Well, we don't even know if someone can "enter" a valley in Klingon.  {'el}
can be used for entering, say, a building, a room, or some region.

mIch 'elpu' jay'
They've entered the #$%@ sector!   (TKD)

HIq DaSammeH tach yI'el.
To find ale, go into a bar.  (TKW)

tach vI'el, HItlhej.
Let's go to the pub.   (Radio Times)

'ach HoD, Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e'
But Captain, that course will take us into the Barrier as well.   (ST5)

A valley?  Good question.  I wouldn't have a problem with it if I saw it.
{'el} seems pretty general-purpose.

> maw' 'och veghbogh loD.  -  The man that went through the tunnel is crazy.

maj.

> wa'Hu' 'och wIveghta'.  -  Yesterday we have gone through the tunnel.

Your use of {vegh} is fine, though I'm wondering about your intentions with
that aspect marker and accompanying time marker.

> jIDachtaHvIS lojmIt Davegh'a'?  -  Did you pass the door while I was gone?

maj.

> pa'wIj Da'el'a'?  -  Did you enter my room?

maj.

You seem to have the meaning down.

--
SuStel