tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 30 08:34:01 1997

Re: Space Cadets

>Don't get me wrong, but I am gratified that the (ahem) "creative"
grammar
>presented there doesn't have to be taken as correct.

Yeah, but look at the ungrammatical English on which I had to work. And
remember the GIGO law.

>>Finally, does the author of the Klingon translation of the 23rd Pslam
I meant Psalm. I was rushed.

>>now have to rewrite the line from "Yea, though I walk through the
valley
>>of the shadow of death" to incorporate <vegh>? It would seem that
<vegh>
>>qualifies for walking through a valley, it being somewhat similar to
>>passing through a tunnel.
>
>wejpuH.
>
>No, I don't think so.  Walking through a metaphorical valley is *not*
>passing through an opening from one place to another.  Passing through
>a valley is like passing through a forest, to which {vegh} does not
apply.

>-- ghunchu'wI'

Are you certain? If I were, say, to follow the Colorado river along its
course, say in a boat, wouldn't <vegh> apply? I thought that <vegh>
applied in circumstances where you had initially freedom to move, then
were restricted in motion during the <vegh> part, and then had freedom
to move again at the end, like passage through a tunnel. (See? I do pay
attention to the mailing lists ...)

A valley, especially some of the river - cut ones compared to the wide U
- shaped valleys formed from glaciation, ends to restrict the ease of
travel of a person traversing through it.

Having said that, it's possible for a mountaineer to use a rope bridge
over a chasm, so in some ways, e.g. flight through the valley, crosswise
traversal etc. <vegh> cannot apply: but for lengthwise traversal of the
valley (the common assumption), <vegh> surely would apply.

Which, of course, brings up the next question: does one <vegh> that rope
bridge over the valley?

I think that we should be told.

Alex.