tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 27 14:34:43 1997

Re: Space Cadets

>Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 07:21:45 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "Alexander Greene" <[email protected]>
>
>Finally, does the author of the Klingon translation of the 23rd Pslam
>now have to rewrite the line from "Yea, though I walk through the valley
>of the shadow of death" to incorporate <vegh>? It would seem that <vegh>
>qualifies for walking through a valley, it being somewhat similar to
>passing through a tunnel.

That would presumably be my translation (though I doubt I'm the only person
to have translated it).  Considerations of whether or not walking through
the valley counts as {vegh} aside, I don't think it wants changing,
anyway.  The Hebrew is just "'eileikh"/"I go", with a pretty
general-purpose word for "going," and the concept of passing through really
doesn't enter into the concept, I think.  You might think it does (I'm
passing THROUGH the valley, and will get out), but it doesn't seem that way
to me.  I'd still use {leng} (I don't know if I did, I'm writing without
checking).  It's even when I'm travelling in the valley of death-shadow,
even when that's where I am.  It's probably a matter of personal choice,
but I don't think I want to use {vegh}.  Another translator might.

Just because we have a new hammer doesn't turn everything into nails...

~mark

Back to archive top level