tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 28 20:37:10 1997

Re: ghe''or 'elmeH vegh

ja'pu' Guido:
>>wej ghe''or 'el yInwI', ghot wa'DIch ghaHmo'. chay' 'e' vIQum, Hol
>>vIpabtaHvIS 'a 'IHtaHvIS mu'wIj?

jang ~mark:
>'elpa' Hoch, 'el?

ghe''or 'elbogh yInwI' wa'DIch ghaH.  nap.

>  I know it's not specified, but -logh and -DIch on the
>same word feels like two suffixes of the same type.  It doesn't seem
>right.  -logh is multiplicity of times, and -DIch is ordinal... they don't
>mix.

I saw the pseudo-word and my brain tripped badly on it. :-)  I figured
out why both suffixes were used, and thought -- briefly -- "neat."  And
then I considered it further, and thought "ugh."  The meaning associated
with {x-logh} is "x times", and the similarity with "x-th time" is only
slight, and doesn't extend past the sounds in English.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level