tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 27 19:30:58 1997

Re: Language jokes show English speaking bias...

>>> I cannot really appreciate the jokes like 'ul and 'awje' after I'm
>>> told what UL and A&W are (I've never even heard of them). In fact,
>>> I cannot even recognize them as funny in any way until told.
>>
>>qayajchu'.  It's isolating that this language, supposed to be equally
>>alien to all Earth natives, contain components that are directed at
>>only one group of them. Americans seem to forget that some things
>>that are universal to them are foreign to ninety-five percent of the
>>world's population.
>>
>>But the jokes really are for Marc, based on his experience.  He
>
>...it's the product of ONE MAN'S grey matter, with all his
>personal biases and private in-jokes.  It doesn't bother me
>..., since after all, *internally* there's no such bias.  The
>origins and nature of the language internally to itself is plenty
>universal; it's only externally that we seem to see these biases.  Klingon
>*as a language* is no less accessible to a non-USAn who can't get the
>jokes: the jokes are not really relevant to the language.  The *jokes* are
>less accessible, but that's not what we're here for.

Also keep in mind that when he wrote TKD he did not expect it to go as far
as it has.  It was just supposed to be "controlled gibberish" for himself to
use for the movies and he was just having fun with it, thinking no-one would
get so indepth in their studies; thus also the vague definitions we have.

DloraH

Back to archive top level