tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 28 13:41:55 1997

Re: Language jokes show English speaking bias...

>Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 18:07:17 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Susan Farmer <[email protected]>
>
>Pardon if this was answered, but I didn't see it.  Is anybody collecting
>a list of the jokes/puns/etc that we've discovered?

Like everything else, this is likely to be controversial.  Remember that
big hullaballoo on the list a few months ago when we saw a list of
mnemonics/jokes/derivations that Glen Proechel had assembled?  Horrible
arguments about whether or not this or that derivation was "legitimate" or
whatever.  I suppose we can catalog ones which we KNOW (from Okrand's
statements), though frankly there's quite a lot of other information I'd
much rather have from him, and ones we suspect or conjecture.  I'd probably
rather list the latter as correlations we've invented, for our own
amusement and mnemonic aid (since if you know a folk-etymology, it's easier
to remember).  That way nobody is claiming to have read Marc's mind or
anything, and readers can draw their own conclusions about the plausibility
of the various derivations.

~mark

Back to archive top level