tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 25 07:15:39 1997

Space Cadets

I have been advised to let the subscribers know the following fact after
the qep'a' loSDIch. It's five days since the qep'a', so here it comes

That Space Cadets promotional spiel was composed by myself, Alex Greene,
in the UK, some weeks ago. I had no idea that Channel Four would put the
promotion onto their site in such a way as they have done, nor that they
would present the pronunciation guide in the manner that they did.

I'd intended that pronunciation guide to be solely for the use of Greg
Proops, Carig Charles and Bill Bailey, who are non - Klingonists. It was
cut into chunks for easy digestion by lay actors who were, after all,
destined to be dropped into the world of tlhIngan Hol off the deep end,
as it were.

Had I been told that the pronunciation guide was going to be put up on
the Web site, I would have generated a much more Klingonist - friendly
version ... but the feedback from the lay people seems to be positive,
so who can say?

Finally, I also did some of the Klingon phrases used in the show. As to
which ones, you'll have to email me ... after the show is over. I am not
going to give the game away just yet ...

If you want to email me personally about any aspect of my work, please
email me on [email protected] with your comments. Don't send private
comments intended for me to the mailing list.

Oh, BTW, although I had no time to consult the mailing list, or any
private Klingonists, about the translation, I did strive to do the
research, examining TKD, TKW and as many back issues of HolQeD as I
could find, paying particular attention to captain Krankor's
Grammarian's Column and the index in HolQeD 6:1.

But next time I get a job like this to do, I hope I'll have enough time
to check up on what's hot on the mailing list first.

Finally, does the author of the Klingon translation of the 23rd Pslam
now have to rewrite the line from "Yea, though I walk through the valley
of the shadow of death" to incorporate <vegh>? It would seem that <vegh>
qualifies for walking through a valley, it being somewhat similar to
passing through a tunnel.

Alex Greene, UK