tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 18 09:43:51 1997

Re: Grammar

Norman Thomas wrote:

> Pardon me for mentioning this but I've been receiving this list for over
> a month now : what I've noticed is that there's a market for a book
> entitled "English Grammar for Learners of Klingon". Many of the mistakes
> that are made are related to not understanding English grammar. OK if
> English isn't your first language that could be an excuse.

     I find this to be the case with most languages, and I don't think
that the book you suggest would help.  People really don't think about
the way their native language works, it just is.  That's a big reason
for studying foreign languages - studying a language with different
rules forces you to think about the way the rules really work.  I have
always had a good grasp of English grammar - I scored in the 98th
percentile on my verbal SATs - but I didn't really understand how
English grammar worked until I took Greek in college.  What we need is
just to help people learn Klingon, and through it their own native
tongue.

wIvqu', law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
| Thaddaeus Vick, Linguist to the Masses |       [email protected]       |
| I could be wrong.  After all, there's  |                           |
|      a first time for everything.      | http://www.crl.com/~dvick |