tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 18 09:58:51 1997

Re: What does "..." mean?

Qeygh wrote:

> On 1997.07.17 at 4:57 PM -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > How can I say in Klingon
> > "What does xyz mean?" when I want to know the meaning of xyz.
> > *xyz* 'oH nuq'e' ? (?)
>
> I would translate that as "What is *xyz*?".   Which could be asking for a
> description instead of a definition.
>
> Perhaps something like "*xyz* vIyaj chay' 'e' DaHech?" or "*xyz* vIyaj
> chay' net Hech?" would be better.
>
> The intent here is "How do you intend that I understand *xyz*?" or "How am
> I meant to understand *xyz*?" -- I don't claim to be fluent, so I may have
> botched this pretty badly.

     That looks correct to me, but unnecessarily complicated.  Back in
the days when I had to ask for a definintion of every third word, I
said, {chay' *xyz* vImugh?} - "How do I translate *xyz*".

wIvqu', law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
| Thaddaeus Vick, Linguist to the Masses |       [email protected]       |
| I could be wrong.  After all, there's  |                           |
|      a first time for everything.      | http://www.crl.com/~dvick |