tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 14 19:42:11 1997

Re: KLBC:Book 1

[email protected] on behalf of Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen wrote:
> William Cody wrote:
> >> I'm in the 7th lessen in Book 1. In the exercise where you translate
> >> into Klingon, number 11 is: the bus is coming. How do I say coming? I'm
> >> trying to use what I've learned in the previous lessons, and we only have
> >> <ghoS>. Also, if I wanted to say just "that" with the suffix <vetlh>
would
> >> just add <Doch>?
>
> David Trimboli responded:
> > I don't know if I should be answering questions about the postal
> > course. If David Barron is listening, perhaps he would care to say a word.
>
> I'm not David Barron, but don't believe the above question if from his
> postal course.  The KLI's postal course (created and managed by David
> Barron) is not currently in a "book" form, let alone multiple volumes
> (as is implied by the reference above to "Book 1").  My guess is that
> the lessons are taken from the workbooks Glen Proechel created for the
> ILS and his summer camps.

jIyaj.

Probably the best word for "The bus is coming" is {chol} "come closer."  For
example,

chollI' lupwI'
The bus is coming closer (with the point being that it's going to stop when it
gets here)

or

choltaH lupwI'
The bus is coming closer (not making any reference as to whether or not the
bus is going to stop somewhere; it might possibly pass you by, but for now
it's getting closer).

Which you use depends on what you mean.

On the subject of "that," the Type 4 noun suffix, if you cannot think of an
appropriate noun to attach it to, then you're probably not saying the sentence
very well.

For example,

"Moby Dick" vIlaDlI'
I'm reading Moby Dick.

How would you say, "I read that!"  You'd have to come up with an appropriate
noun to use {-vetlh} with.

paqvetlh vIlaDpu'!
I read that!

Better yet, since this is the current topic, you could say

paqvam vIlaDpu'!

In English you wouldn't say "I read this," but it works just fine in Klingon.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level