tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 09 18:42:07 1997

Re: New Word on MSN: {ngIb}

>Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 15:47:34 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Mark Mandel <[email protected]>
>
>lI' voragh:
><<<
>Klingon: ngIb
>English: Ankle
>Phonetically -- "nyib"
>Joint connecting the foot of most humanoids to the leg.
>

>I don't know the source of your phonetics, but <ng> is not "ny".
>An English-speaker may hear or pronounce it that way at the
>beginning of a word, because the "ng" sound can't come at the
>beginning of an English word and "ny" may be the closest a person
>can get to it, as "a different kind of n".

The source is the usual Paramount/MSN crowd, I imagine.  And it's not
unreasonable.  "ny" is NOT what "ng" sounds like, true, but sometimes it's
how it comes out in unfamiliar positions (i.e. word-initial) for people
without much practice in it.  I remember that's what it sounded like when I
heard r'Hul say "ngech" once (no offense to r'Hul).  It's better than just
"n", I suppose.

~mark

Back to archive top level