tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 09 17:40:28 1997

Re: New Word on MSN: {ngIb}

On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Mark Mandel wrote:
|lI' voragh:
|<<<
|Klingon: ngIb
|English: Ankle
|Phonetically -- "nyib"
|Joint connecting the foot of most humanoids to the leg.
|>>>

|I don't know the source of your phonetics, but <ng> is not "ny".

No kidding.  But as I stated in my post, the complete citation is from the
ST: Continuum site on MSN (specifically the Linguistic Studies area of the
Klingon Compendium) so I'd suggest you send your comments there where they
might do some good. Generally I ignore the phonetics except for
polysyllabic words where the stressed syllable is indicated by caps -- I've
been surprised by a couple of these as I had previously been stressing the
"wrong" syllable. But as for their accuracy...

Okrand supplies them with Klingon vocabulary plus the one word English
gloss and records the associated DAT sound file. STC staff then write the
expanded definitions based on these glosses adding a "Klingon flair." Last
month, STC staffer Josh Schroeder posted to the Expert Forum (i.e. the
Okrand BBS) that STC producer Guy Vardaman will go over those expanded
definitions with Marc Okrand at some point. Does anyone know whether the
phonetics (which are intended for fans, not linguists) are also supplied by
Okrand or is someone at STC just transcribing what they think they hear?

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level