tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 10 09:15:07 1997

Re: New Word on MSN: {ngIb}

lI' voragh:

On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Mark Mandel wrote:
|I don't know the source of your phonetics, but <ng> is not "ny".

No kidding.  But as I stated in my post, the complete citation is from the
ST: Continuum site on MSN (specifically the Linguistic Studies area of the
Klingon Compendium) so I'd suggest you send your comments there where they
might do some good. [...]

Okrand supplies them with Klingon vocabulary plus the one word English
gloss and records the associated DAT sound file. [...] Does anyone know
whether the phonetics (which are intended for fans, not linguists) are
also supplied by Okrand or is someone at STC just transcribing what they
think they hear?

<<<
Alas, I don't have access to MSN; and you didn't give an email address,
so I can't direct my comments to them directly. Some list subscriber who
*does* get MSN can, perhaps, comment to its administrators.  You, perhaps?

HeghDI' SuvwI'pu' Hagh qotpu' neH.  I didn't mean to belittle your understanding
of Klingon phonetics.  You presented the entire citation with attribution but
without comment, and I incorrectly inferred that the phonetics were your
transcription from an audio presentation.

This document was created with Dragon Systems' NaturallySpeaking.
(Non-quoted, non-Klingon parts only.)

     marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
Subcmdr. Markemm, Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!
**              Mark A. Mandel : [email protected]             **
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02160, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/
          Personal home page: http://world.std.com/~mam/

Back to archive top level