tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 09 18:20:29 1997

Re: KLBC: No question words in relative answers

>Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 11:03:07 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>
>
>According to David Trimboli:
>..
>> {juS} means "pass, overtake," and I presume it's referring to a spatial event.
>>  I don't think it applies to doing more of something than someone else.  Even
>> in English we have a difference between "farther," which is spatial, and
>> "further," which is non-spatial.
>
>While what you say here is logical, it is not as correct as you
>may believe. "farther" and "further" are variations on the same
>word with no discernable difference in meaning. Both act as
>comparative forms of "far", even though one looks wrong for
>this function. I looked it up.

Guess it depends where you look.  I've heard what SuStel has reported
before, and checked it in a dictionary too.  It says "According to many
traditional grammarians, the etymological distinction between _farther_
(more far) and _further_ (more to the fore) should be preserved.  In that
case _farther_ should be used only for physical distances.... It should be
noted that writers since Shakespeare have often ignored the distinction
between the two words."

OK, sorry, now *I*'m getting off-topic.

~mark

Back to archive top level