tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 09 10:50:47 1997

Re: KLBC: No question words in relative answers

According to David Trimboli:
> {juS} means "pass, overtake," and I presume it's referring to a spatial event.
>  I don't think it applies to doing more of something than someone else.  Even
> in English we have a difference between "farther," which is spatial, and
> "further," which is non-spatial.

While what you say here is logical, it is not as correct as you
may believe. "farther" and "further" are variations on the same
word with no discernable difference in meaning. Both act as
comparative forms of "far", even though one looks wrong for
this function. I looked it up.

As for "pass", we don't know WHAT it means yet for sure. It's
never been used in canon and the gloss is too ambiguous. You
are likely right, but we can't know yet.

> --
> SuStel                                       -- qoH vuvbe' SuStel
> Beginners' Grammarian
> Stardate 97521.0

charghwI'

Back to archive top level