tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 09 06:27:40 1997

Re: KLBC: No question words in relative answers

[email protected] on behalf of [email protected] wrote:
> Since you disagree with Capt. Krankor and me using {chay' Soj Sop tlhIngan
> 'e' vIleghpu'}, want to see how close I can come to expressing the answers
> each question word without using that question word relatively.

(By the way, you've put a Type 7 on the second verb of the SAO . . .)

> chay' Soj Sop tlhIngan?   Dalegh'a'?

While these are perfectly acceptable, you seem to have missed the point: if
you simply left it at {chay' Soj Sop tlhIngan?}, someone would answer your
question.  There's no need to ask two questions to get one answer.

All of the following questions can also lose the second bit.  If you literally
need to also know if the listener also saw the event, then this is a separate
question, requiring a separate answer, and has nothing to do with questions as
objects, anyway.

> Soj Sop tlhIngan 'ej mIwvetlh vIleghpu'.
> qatlh Soj Sop tlhIngan?  DaSov'a'?
> yInmeH Soj Sop tlhIngan.  wanI'vam vISov.
> nuqDaq Soj Sop tlhIngan?  DaghoSpu''a'?
> Soj Sop tlhIngan.  Daqvetlh vIghoSpu'.

You didn't answer the question.  For example,

Qe'Daq Soj Sop tlhIngan
A Klingon eats food at a restaurant.

> nuq Sop tlhIngan?  Daleghpu''a'?
> Soj Sop tlhIngan.  wanI'vam vIleghpu'.
> ghorgh Soj Sop tlhIngan?  DajeS'a'?
> Soj Sop tlhIngan.  poHvetlh vIjeSlaHbe'.
> Soj 'ar Sop tlhIngan?  DajuSlaH'a'?
> cha' naHmey Sop tlhIngan.  wanI'vam vIjuSlaHta'.

{juS} means "pass, overtake," and I presume it's referring to a spatial event.
 I don't think it applies to doing more of something than someone else.  Even
in English we have a difference between "farther," which is spatial, and
"further," which is non-spatial.

> Trying to learn your ways.

reH ghojrup tlhIngan SuvwI'.

--
SuStel                                       -- qoH vuvbe' SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level