tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 06 18:09:52 1997

Re: Analysis of new Skybox cards

William H. Martin wrote:

> > This is may or may not be the first study of the text of the newest
> > Skybox cards (I haven't gotten my email yet today) but I had to do it
> > anyway.
>
> I especially appreciate it when you post typos which appear in
> this sort of canon Skybox text. I don't know where I could get
> these cards and it is important to me to not have corrupted
> canon.

qay'be'.  I'm on the lookout for the Klingon cards we don't have yet.
The best places to look for single cards (other than conventions) are
comic book stores, sports card shops (sometimes they carry non-sports
trading cards) or gaming ships (often if a shop carries Magic and the ST
card game, they'll have trading cards as well).  Or, you can do it the
old fashioned way, and go to MediaPlay or F.Y.E. or equivalent and buy
packs until you get the specials (they average one special per 12 packs,
and there are 18 packs per case.  I bought a case for $30 and got one
special plus one full set of non-specials, plus dupes.  A single special
usually runs $10.  All US dollars, of course.  Canadian prices slightly
higher ,extra 'u's optional).

> > Another new word: {SeQ}.  Based on the English translation of the text,
> > this would be a stative verb meaning "be ceremonial".  And {bey} is
> > definitely a noun .
>
> And {jach} is used as a transitive verb with {bey SeQ} as
> object, and {bey} is used without another noun preceeding it.
> That's one jam-packed piece of canon.

These three cards probably give us more new canon than any other six
combined!

> > {yay 'oS bey.  'IQ pagh.}
> > "The howl represents victory.  No one is sad."
>
> First use of {pagh} as "no one"?

Could be!  Voragh?

> > {SIQwI' lu'oy'moHmeH juppu'Daj 'oy'naQmey lo' chaH.}
> > "His friends cause pain to the enduree using painsticks."
>
> Shouldn't that be "endurer"? This person is, after all, doing
> the enduring, not receiving the enduring. He may be the
> "hurtee", but he is the "endurer". Why doesn't he hire me as an
> editor? Also, note {'oy'moH} lending little credance to those
> who want to use {'oy'} transitively. Also note, this could be
> translated, "In order to hurt the endurer, they used his
> friends' painsticks." That's not quite the same thing... A comma
> would really make this clearer...

Huh?  OH!!!  I see... the English is *my* back translation.  The English
Marc (or whomever) wrote often bears little to no resemblence to the
literal meaning of the Hol.  The bad English is part of my "analysis", I
admitted at the beginning of the post it wasn't the "best" translation,
merely an attempt at the most literal.

> I'm listing it in the New Words list as "be higher (in rank,
> status)".

Works for me!

> > The English says it "emits a highly-charged shock".  {tlhuD} is
> > obviously "emit".  From the context, {'ul} looks to be a unit of
> > electricity, probably voltage (as anyone who's played with a Van de Graf
> > generator knows, it isn't the voltage that's harmful, but the amperage!)
>
> But is it a measure of electricity or of pain or of electric
> shock?

Yeah... we don't really know, do we?

> > "As soon as the Klingon Empire and the Romulan Star Empire set up an
> > alliance, the Klingon Empire gained cloaking device technology, perhaps
> > they exchanged it."
>
> [Probably exchanged it for PRISONERS]

"Klingons do not take preisoners."  ja' Hoch Sovbogh *Kirk* HoD.

> > The first part is clear enough.  We see {cham} by itself for the first
> > time, meaning "technology" and obviously a noun.  (This still leaves
> > unclear what it means in {chamwI'} "technician".)
>
> No more than it is unclear what {Degh} means in {DeghwI'}. Look
> at the words as a whole without taking them apart and getting
> confused by it. It's okay to have irregular words. Okrand can do
> that.

I know, I know... but... ARGH!  <g>

> Also, we have confirmation of {law'} meaning "much", since
> {law'qu'} is translated as "LOTS" while measuring something one
> does not count.

There's a HolQeD article in there somewhere, about numeric and
non-numeric noun-modifiers with regard to quantity....

> I am both happy and tired. I just updated four dictionaries. I
> don't know how to list {vI'}. Noun? chuvmey? "Decimal point in
> spoken number"?

He lists {DoD} as a noun, so I'd guess {vI'} would be a noun as well.

--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD qhojwI'

[email protected]