tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 05 10:09:19 1997

Re: KLBC: proper use of meQ - burn

[email protected] on behalf of charghwI' wrote:

> > >The only question now is exactly who is the enemy you refer to.  If it's
> > >"Paramount," then {jaghmaj} is fine.  Paramount is an organization, a
> > >thing.
> > >If the subject is "they," which it must be since you've used the prefix
> > >{lu-},
> > >then you must say {jaghma'}.  They can speak, after all.
>
> No. The individuals among them can speak, but the group cannot
> speak. We've been through this. {qorDu'wIj} is the proper term,
> not {qorDu'wI'}. A family does not speak. People in a family
> speak.

Er, that's what I said.  Paramount (the family) as an enemy is referred to as
{jaghmaj}.  If the subject of the sentence was meant to be {chaH} "they,"
which is different than the subject of the sentence being "Paramount," then
the correct word would be {jaghma'}.

Since he used the verb prefix {lu-}, I presume he was "they," not "Paramount."
 But he used {jaghmaj} instead of {jaghma'}.

qeylIS mupwI' qaDvIpjaj jaghmaj jay'
(Where {jaghmaj} refers to Paramount)

or

qeylIS mupwI' luqaDvIpjaj jaghma' jay'
(Where {jaghma'} refers to the people at Paramount)

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level