tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 05 00:33:19 1997

Re: KLBC: proper use of meQ - burn

ja' charghwI':
>> Some consider corporations to be plural.  Which is appropriate:
>> "Paramount Pictures presents..." or "Paramount Pictures present..."?
>> The answer is not definitive; global usage differs.
>
>In TKD, Okrand explicitly states that inherantly plural nouns
>are to be treated grammatically as singular. I don't have mine
>with me just now, but I do remember this.

Good point.  Thank you; it nicely avoids the issue I brought up.  The
very end of TKD 3.3.2 explains this.  Whether Paramount is/are singular
or plural is unimportant; in Klingon one uses the pronoun {'oH} and the
singular verb prefixes to refer to it/them.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level