tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 05 01:26:33 1997

De''e' neHbogh charghwI'

>> >Well, Klaa says {nom yIghoSqu'} for "Maximum speed."
>>
>> jumqu' mu'tlheghvam!
>>
>> "Really go fast!" 'oSlaw'. tlhaQqu''a'!?!
>>
>> 'e' vIpar!
>
>*English* Hol rur tlhIngan Hol 'e' DamaSlaw'. {nom yIghoSqu'!}
>vIparHa'qu'. pup. qay'be'. toH! chay' mu'tlhegh Damugh? maHvaD
>yI'ang!

toH! choqaD'a'? lu'. yIchunglI'! (Note: if chung takes the ship as subject,
then the order would be yIchungmoHlI'!)

I found the original Klingon amusing merely because of my unavoidable
English-locked mindset. Of course, it is senseless to assume that this sounds
amusing to a Klingon, as the order in question was followed obediently.
However - Klaa was kind of a looney by Klingon standards - it is likely that
even if it sounded weird to his crew, they would not dare make mention of
that! My version is not an 'improvement', but it is, I feel, more direct and
to-the-point than Klaa's order. -lI' implies a "stopping point" - when
accelerating, if no other stopping point is specified (pIvlob Hut
yIchunglI'!), it should be clear that one should cease acceleration only when
no greater speed can be attained - maximum speed.

>> SuvwI' DIbej
>
>"We watch the warriors." Nothing else works here. {DI} is a
>noun, not a verb. {-bej} is a verb suffix. There's no
>ambiguity here. And {SuvwI'} is not ambiguous because {Suv}
>is only a verb and never a noun capable of speech.

HIja', Dalughchu'. <SuvwI' Dabej> vIghItlh 'e' vIHech.

DaH SaqaDqa'! cha'logh mu'tlheghvam yImugh!

<SuvwI' Dabej.>

Finally, let me see if I understand this -moH on transitive verbs stuff.

>SoHvaD yIH vIleghmoH. "I cause you to see the tribble."

The object of legh is yIH, because it is what is seen.
The subject is jIH, because it causes "a change of condition or...a new
condition to come into existence." (TKD p. 38)
The marked noun is the go-between, the thing the subject causes to do the
action.

I had never noticed until now that all that -moH canon was involving
intransitive nouns! jIHvaD DayajmoH 'ej qatlho'.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level