tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 04 15:40:29 1997

Re: KLBC: tamqu' pa'wIj

[email protected] on behalf of Lisa Stapp wrote:
> motlh, chuSqu' juHwIj.  *Radio KAOS* vI'IjtaHvIS *Rush Limbaugh* 'IjtaH
> SoSwI' be'nI'wI' je'.

Don't add a glottal stop after {je}.

Although it's not a proven point, I tend to believe that Okrand uses {Qoy}
when using an object, and {'Ij} if he's not.  That's why he uses {'IwlIj ghogh
yIQoy} for "Listen to the voice of your blood."  His reasoning about the
difference between "hear" and "listen" seems a little backwards, though.

> motlh Sol wej puqbe'pu' *Barney* bejtaHvIS.  wej
> ghogh HablI'mey wIghaj

DIghaj

> 'ej reH nughum.

Eww, maybe.  With this new info on prefixes and indirect objects, I wonder if
this qualifies.  I suppose it does, though I truly like {maHvaD ghum} better.

Or perhaps Klingons DO have transitivity issues, and intransitive verbs don't
do this sort of thing . . .

>  *'yippy' chihuahua* qan wIghaj.
> loDpu' puqpu' je muS.

Does it like only women then?  If you mean both men and women, you should just
put {ghotpu'} or {nuvpu'}, or perhaps, to make a contrast with {puqpu'},
{nenwI'pu'}.

> juHmajDaq cheghDI' be'nI'wI' loDnal, pub *chihuahua*
> ghogh.

The chihuahua's voice boils?  What do you mean?

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level