tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 04 15:40:19 1997

Re: Analysis of new Skybox cards

[email protected] on behalf of Qov wrote:

> lab Qob:
> & {beyHom bey bey'a' jachtaH latlh tlhInganpu'.}
> & "The other Klingons cry out small howls, howls, great howls."
> &
> & This is mega-weird. If I didn't have the English text of the card
> & I'd be completely lost. This is apparently how you express a series
> & of events through time...?????? I can see how he's thinking
> & "crescendo" here, but I'm not sure how I'd do this with other nouns.
> & There ought to be a {je} on that list, oughtn't there?
>
> Sure, just as there ought to be an 'and' in the English.  Writing
> in any language often breaks the rules, and if it's clear, the writer
> gets away with it. This is just the sort of thing I do that incites
> SuStel's carful criticism.  (Qov waves at SuStel. "ghIchDaq qamup
> 'e' vIHech 'ach 'oy'naQ vIlo'be'.")

*sigh*  tlhIngan Hol'e' qelnIStaH Qov.  jIH muqeltaH 'e' mevnIS.
muyajHa'chu'taH.

In fact, I absolutely *love* this formation.  As a musician myself, I thought
this was a wonderful way to describe a crescendo.  A {je} would spoil some of
the fun.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian