tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 04 14:10:54 1997

Re: Analysis of new Skybox cards

Robyn Stewart wrote:

> lab Qob:
> & {beyHom bey bey'a' jachtaH latlh tlhInganpu'.}
> & "The other Klingons cry out small howls, howls, great howls."
> &
> & This is mega-weird. If I didn't have the English text of the card
> & I'd be completely lost. This is apparently how you express a series
> & of events through time...?????? I can see how he's thinking
> & "crescendo" here, but I'm not sure how I'd do this with other nouns.
> & There ought to be a {je} on that list, oughtn't there?
>
> Sure, just as there ought to be an 'and' in the English.  Writing
> in any language often breaks the rules, and if it's clear, the writer
> gets away with it. This is just the sort of thing I do that incites
> SuStel's carful criticism.  (Qov waves at SuStel. "ghIchDaq qamup
> 'e' vIHech 'ach 'oy'naQ vIlo'be'.")

The thing is, it *isn't* clear (at least to me) without the English
translation.  It may be blasphemy, but this looks like a "hindsight"
word (well, hindsight noun phrase).

> & {chIch vay' 'oy'moHmeH 'oy'naQ 'ul law' tlhuD 'oH.}
> & "The painstick emits many (something), for the purpose of
> & intentionally causing someone pain."
> &
> & The English says it "emits a highly-charged shock". {tlhuD} is
> & obviously "emit". From the context, {'ul} looks to be a unit of
> & electricity, probably voltage.
>
> Or it could be that 'shock' in Klingon is a noun which can be
> quantified with 'many' to indicate intensity and not discrete events.
> Ze painstik make many shock, yes? Compare with 'oy' law' vISIQ.

Maybe, but that seems more likely to be a verb given Klingon's
verb-centric nature.

> On the other hand, I'd like it 'ul to mean electron, just because I
> want the word. :)

Only if he gives us enough other elemtary particles so we can discuss
subatomic particle physics!  (I dare him to give us "intermediary vector
boson" or words for all the flavors of quarks!)

--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD qhojwI'

[email protected]