tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 04 14:10:52 1997

Re: Analysis of new Skybox cards

Neal Schermerhorn wrote:

> Qob:
>
> Great analysis - a few comments - please note that I am only working from the
> HolQeD version - can't wait to hear from someone with S33!

Neither can I.  My fiance is the one who collects the cards, but neither
of us have seen S33 yet.

> >meter long." {'uj} is then obviously a unit of length *much* shorter
> >than a kellikam - probably about 14" (one meter is 39.4 inches). My
>
> Neither would I. One 'uj (I figured 34 cm) is about the length of a large
> foot. Now this is cool - if we figure there are 2231 meters in a qelI'qam
> (which may be "roughly two kilometers"), and assume a 'uj is 34 cm, the
> quotient (number of 'ujmey in a qelI'qam) is 6561, or 3^8 (ternary number
> systems anyone?) OK, so I backfit it, but wouldn't it be neat if a whole
> measurement system came out of Maltz's memory....

An interesting back-fit!  My thought was that an {'uj} was indeed a
Klingon foot, since most of the actors comment on how huge the Klingon
boots are.

> >{'agh} is *very* obscure. Without an English translation I have no clue
> >as to what this may mean.
>
> Perhaps "commision (v)", giving the reading "This ship was commissioned on
> Stardate 9521.6...." Or is this the wrong word to express the entering into
> service of a new vessel?

True navy types distinguish between "keel laying" (when the construction
of a ship is started), "launch" (when the ship first gets wet), and
"commissioning" (when the ship is accepted into service - can be
anywhere from launch up to a year or more later).  However, your idea is
a good one!

--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD qhojwI'