tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 04 11:06:33 1997

Re: Analysis of new Skybox cards

lab Neal Schermerhorn ([email protected]):
& Qob:
& >{puvlaHbogh Duj ngabmoHlaw' So'wI'}.
& >"The cloaking device apparently causes to vanish the ship which can
& >fly."
& >
& >HolQeD has {puVlaHbogh DujngabmoHlaw' So'wI'} which is obviously a
& >typo. On the other hand, the text doesn't make all that much sense.
& >I think {puvlaHbogh} probably should be {puvlaHtaHvIS}, unless I
& >missed the meaning entirely.
&
& Perhaps so. My reading is similar. I would think the -laH should
& have been omitted.

I have no context (haven't seen HolQeD or the cards) but I read it
fine as: "A cloaking device makes a flight-capable vessel seem to
disappear."  Less grammatical, but more literal: "A cloaking
device apparently causes to vanish a vessel which can fly."

(And unless there is significant context, it supports my argument
that -law' indicates 'seems to' referring to the context of the
words, not necessarily their speaker/writer.)

 - Qov

Robyn Stewart                     [email protected]
NLK Technical Library  ph. (604) 689-0344 fax (604) 443-1000
NLK Consultants Inc. 855 Homer Street, Vancouver BC  V6B 5S2

Back to archive top level