tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 03 22:33:49 1997

Re: Analysis of new Skybox cards

Qob:

Great analysis - a few comments - please note that I am only working from the
HolQeD version - can't wait to hear from someone with S33!

>{wej 'ujmey 'ab 'oy'naQ.}
>"A painstick measures(?) three (somethings)."
>
>A double whammy! The English says "Painsticks are a little over one
>meter long." {'uj} is then obviously a unit of length *much* shorter
>than a kellikam - probably about 14" (one meter is 39.4 inches). My
>best guess for {'ab}, obviously the verb of the sentence, is that it
>means "is measured to be"; the subject is the thing being measured and
>the object is the measurement. It could also refer srtictly to length;
>I wouldn't be surprised to see *three* verbs of measurement, one each
>for length, width and height.

Neither would I. One 'uj (I figured 34 cm) is about the length of a large
foot. Now this is cool - if we figure there are 2231 meters in a qelI'qam
(which may be "roughly two kilometers"), and assume a 'uj is 34 cm, the
quotient (number of 'ujmey in a qelI'qam) is 6561, or 3^8 (ternary number
systems anyone?) OK, so I backfit it, but wouldn't it be neat if a whole
measurement system came out of Maltz's memory....

>{puvlaHbogh Duj ngabmoHlaw' So'wI'}.
>"The cloaking device apparently causes to vanish the ship which can
>fly."
>
>HolQeD has {puVlaHbogh DujngabmoHlaw' So'wI'} which is obviously a
>typo. On the other hand, the text doesn't make all that much sense. I
>think {puvlaHbogh} probably should be {puvlaHtaHvIS}, unless I missed
>the meaning entirely.

Perhaps so. My reading is similar. I would think the -laH should have been
omitted.

>{'agh} is *very* obscure. Without an English translation I have no clue
>as to what this may mean.

Perhaps "commision (v)", giving the reading "This ship was commissioned on
Stardate 9521.6...." Or is this the wrong word to express the entering into
service of a new vessel?

Very thorough inventory - much more so than mine! tugh numuv latlh SuvwI'pu'
'e' vIpIH.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level