tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 31 19:41:46 1997

RE: KLBC: A song too far....

January 31, 1997 8:15 AM EST, jatlh Gary Cowell (QI'HoS):

> This is my most abitious thing yet - trying to do a klingon
> 'show me the way to go home'. See what you think.

You didn't include the original song.  You're lucky I've seen "Jaws" quite a
few times.

> HejuHwIjDaq 'oH HI'ang
> You show me the route to my home

Ok.  "The route to my house" cannot be done with {HejuHwIjDaq}.  {HejuH} reads
as "course-home," which makes no sense.  Also, you've got "Show me it to my
course-home."  {HI-} is a command prefix, which you used correctly, but your
translation was a statement.

Let's rework this sentence, ignoring the fact that this is a song for a
moment.

juH vIghoSmeH jIHvaD He yI'ang.
In order that I go home, show me the way.

> jIDoy' QongDaq vIneH
> I'm tired and I want my bed

"I'm tired and I wanna go to bed."  You're is close, but lacking a bit in
meaning.  "I'm tired I want bed."  Let's add a conjunction {'ej}, and let's be
a little less noun-centric:

jIDoy' 'ej jIQongchoH vIneH.
I'm tired and I want to begin sleeping.

> wa'Hu' jItlhutlhpu'qu' DaH jIwuQqu'
> Yesterday I had a large drink, now I have a large headache

>From "Jaws," I know this line as "I had a little drink about an hour ago, and
it got right to my head."  I wonder why you are emphasizing the {-pu'} with
the {-qu'}.  Also, I didn't know that "it got right to my head" meant it gave
me a headache; I believe the line means that I became drunk right away.

I also wonder if you know a slightly different version of the song, or if you
just couldn't think of a way to say "about an hour ago."

jItlhutlhpu' 'ej qaSpu' wa' rep.  SIbI' jIchechchoHpu'

> nuqDaq jIlng puH joq logh
> Where I roam, land or space

"Wherever I may roam, on land or sea or foam,"

The word {nuqDaq} is a question word, which doesn't have much to do with
"wherever."  This line requires a complete reworking.

By the way, I, too, have no translation for "foam" in this line.  Even my
parents, who are major sailing nuts, and are utterly familiar with this song,
are not certain what this word refers to.  Suggestions are "rough water," and
"the foam which one finds between the land and the sea."  I mean, we know what
foam on the water is, but why talk about traveling on it?  For now, I'll
assume that it means the shore, as per the second suggestion.  If you want, of
course, you could always just replace this idea with traveling in space, as
you do above.

puHDaq jIlengtaHchugh, qoj bIQ'a'Daq jIlengtaHchugh, qoj jojDaq jIlengtaHchugh

> bom vIbomtaH 'e' DaQoyqu'
> I will always sing and you will certainly hear it!

"You will always hear me singing this song:"

Your English and Klingon do not match!  You have actually said "you HEAR that
I am singing a song."  Let's add in those bits you missed:

bomvam vIbom reH 'e' DaQoy
You will always hear that I sing this song.

> HejuHwIjDaq 'oH HI'ang
> Show me the route to my home

"Show me the way to go home."
juH vIghoSmeH jIHvaD He yI'ang.