tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 31 19:40:58 1997

RE: KLBC: or

January 31, 1997 1:23 AM EST, jatlh maqlIy:

> I'm trying to get the concept of "or" straight.  Am I geting close?
>
> yuch chonobbe'chugh vaj bIHegh!
> Give me chocolate or die! (If you do not give me chocolate then you die.)

maj.  As you can see, this indicates the "either/or" idea.  Choose one or the
other.  Also possible (for purists like me :) :

jIHvaD yuch Danobbe'chugh vaj bIHegh!

> tlhab HInob pagh Hegh HInob!
> Give me liberty or give me death!  (Either give me freedom or give me
death.)

Yes.  You are using {pagh} just fine here.

A less poetic way (or is it?) to say this is

HItlhabmoH pagh HIHoH.

See?  No nouns!

> yuch vISop qoj jIqej.
> I eat chocolate or I am grouchy. (But most people can't tell the
difference.)

The implication here is that one *or both* of these conditions must be true.
All we know is that you cannot be happy if you do not eat chocolate.

> yuch joq qa'vIn vIneH.
> I want chocolate or coffee or both.

Careful!  When using noun conjunctions, you must place it *after* the final
noun!

yuch qa'vIn joq vIneH.

But you've got the "or both" part correct.

> Dargh ghap qa'vIn IlneH'a'?
> Do you want tea or coffee? (Not both)

This is a funny case.  You have chosen {lI-} as your prefix.  There *are* two
objects listed, but here's the interesting bit: using {ghap}, you are saying
that only one can be the case.  So you cannot want both.  In that case, might
one not use {nI-} instead of {lI-}?  There's no answer in canon to that, I'm
afraid.  Personally, I'd use {nI-}, but I can't say you're wrong.  My sentence
would be

Dargh qa'vIn ghap nIneH'a'?

Now, here's something else to think about.  As far as I can tell, you're
asking

Do you want (coffee or tea)?

You're not asking

(Do you want coffee?) either/or (do you want tea?)

See the difference?  If I told you that I drink tea, but not coffee, then my
technical answer to your question would have to be {HIja'}.

I'd solve this by asking two questions:

Dargh DaneH'a'?  qa'vIn DaneH'a'?

--
SuStel