tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 31 19:40:58 1997

RE: KLBC: SW Quote into tlhIngan-Hol

January 31, 1997 1:00 PM EST, jatlh may'qal ro':

> I want to translate the quote from Yoda in Star Wars into tlhIngan-Hol.

Okay, but if you think you need help, don't try mimicking his funny way of
talking!

> Do or Do not.  There is no try.
>
> I've recast and came up with the following:
>
> yIta joq yIta'be'
> tu'lu'be'  yInID
>
> You accomplish or You accomplish not.
> There is no you try.
>
> Comments/Suggestions?

My first comment is that you should not have chosen {joq}.  Even ignoring the
fact that you meant {qoj}, which is the sentence/verb conjunction, you aren't
trying to say "do and/or do not," you're saying "either do or do not."

{ta'} is a rather good choice to accurately express what Yoda means.  My first
thought was {ruch}, but his meaning seems closer to {ta'}.

Don't forget: you cannot use {-be'} on an imperative verb!  You must use
{-Qo'}.

yIta' pagh yIta'Qo'.  yInIDQo' neH.

Literally, this is "Either accomplish it or do not accomplish it.  Do not
merely attempt it."

Actually, I rather dislike using sentence conjunctions with commands.
Sticking with a more traditional approach, I might suggest

bIta' pagh bIta'be'.  bInIDqu'laHbe'.
You will accomplish or you will not accomplish.  You cannot TRY.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level